Monday, March 25, 2013

St. Patrick's Day 5K

Saturday, March 16th. St Patrick's Day race.

Results
I finished 2nd in my age group for women 30-39, which was a fun surprise since I was 25 seconds slower than my January 5K and it served as a pretty good pick me up! I have the ribbon hanging on my rear view mirror, cause I am proud of myself!  These are the days that I look back at my inability to run ONE mile with out stopping in wonder.

Funny Story
When I was taking the picture of my finger pointing to my name on the results sheet I could hear the girl behind me saying, "there is this girl, Michelle Clare, her name sounds like mine and she always beats me!" (she was saying it nice and had stepped aside so I could take the picture), I turned and said, "Michelle Clare!? That's me!" Then we had a nice little chat. :-) I am always looking at the names and times of the women who are faster than me, I had never stopped to consider that I was a name in someone else's "looking up." So much to learn in that thought, about more than just running.

Lessons Learned
1. Speed work matters. My time showed it. I neglected it from January to March (I also started a new job soooo, there that is. Now it is even harder to carve out workouts.)
2. Start up front. I was finally brave enough to start up front. Oh man, was that A LOT easier to get going!
3. My mental attitude is AS IMPORTANT as my physical fitness. Every time. I almost psyched myself out when I saw the field. I could feel my confidence literally draining, so weird  AND when the Gold's Gym instructor ladies & friends (who have muscles EVERYWHERE) showed up, I found my self in silent prayer begging, "please let them be running the 10K pleeeeease, pleeeeease." (Seriously, the muscles are are amazing.)
4. Old men run fast. Never underestimate an old man in running shoes.

Conclusion
Running is fun. Till I race again...





No comments:

Post a Comment