Thursday, March 14, 2013

Adjudications

Life goes along. We practice, we don't. We go to lessons. The weeks go by so fast. Is it Tuesday again? Did I even look at the assignments?

I'll ask Noah, "did you learn the song?"
"Sure" he says.
"Really?" I say
**sign** "yeeees mom!" he replies
"Alright you can go play!" I respond.
"yes!" he, says and runs our the door.

Then there is this day.
Adjudication.
The Professor (I guess he is a professor, not sure) is about to encourage and critique my son's performance. In the space between Noah's last song and before the comments begin EVERY SINGLE thought that passes through my mind is a little panicky...
"He should have practiced more."
"I should be setting timers"
"Why didn't I pay more attention to those assignment sheets about dynamics"
"She wrote dynamics down sooooooo many times"
"Ahhhh I hate this"

but Jordan, he's reading the latest news on his phone...

and Noah, he's peering into the reflection on the piano in the black space just above the keys. He is so taken by the reflection he starts making faces and pulling at his front lip. (Of course all the other girls sit calmly with their hands in their lap and wait. Of course they do.)

Here we are. The silly boy's mom AND the music teacher's grandson. Then I remember. She had her own four sons, perhaps, this is in fact, no surprise to her. Then it happens. Noah and Nyla make eye contact. He jolts and straightens up.  He got the "look." She's a pro.

The Professor launches in on his critique. He is awesome, like a character out of Disney cartoon.  Noah responds to his questions quickly and plays back the portions of the song for him well.  And now I know what dynamics are why they matter, not to mention which hand plays the melody!

Proud of my boy.
He has a great teacher.




No comments:

Post a Comment