Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Zach's 5th Birthday (aka: a star is born, maybe.)




Over the summer Zachery saw for the first time the XGames, and it happened to skatebaording. Much to my --I only want them to do things that are safe--shagrin, he was hooked. For months he asked for a skateboard for his birthday. He asked anyone who would listen and more importantly he asked the person who he thought would most likely buy that skatebaord--Grandma Goossen. But, I beat her to the punch and got one for him myself for his birthday. (I hope she has forgiven me.) Because if a star is born, I want to be the one who got him that first skateboard (even inspite of my --I only want them to do safe things always and forever--self.)

I also got him a pair of Vans. I figured he needed skate shoes for his skateboard. He was also equally thrilled to get the Iron Man 2 costume, since it was put on immediatly for the rest of the day. Little boys are superheros on the inside. If you have boys you know this.

Now, he may not become the next Shaun White, or he just might. Either way I am proud of him. The lesson in all this however came from how much I was taken aback by the power of hope, or more like punched in the heart with it. Hope for his greatness, hope for his sucess, hope he makes something of himself (he's only 5! I had to get a grip!) It was a hope that I thought could make a me a crazy mom, who cares more for his future (and how that makes me look) than for him. I had to pause. I had to once again give up my son to God. God's role is to shape his future. My role is to be the one who teaches him how to listen to our God, trust our God, and follow our God wherever our God leads him...even if it never gets close to the XGames.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment