Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Homemade Personalized Hooks

In a desperate attempt to end the "towels laying damp on the bedroom floor" situation that was growing in my home, I decided to make personalized towel hooks for my boys.

The effort began several weeks ago with a visit to Sundance Catalog online. That was a miserable idea for two reasons. The first was that the western metal personal brand hook that would have BEEN PERFECT in my little western themed bathroom was not available in the all the letters that I needed. The second reason was that it was going to be more than I wanted to spend. While $18 a hook is not that bad...it was too bad for this family. Here is a picture...I still like them. ***sigh***


After grieving the impossibility of this option I moved on to much a cheaper idea. About $12 total for three hooks idea. Now grant you what follows may be a rather mediocre idea, however some very, very cool ideas are born from other people's mediocre ideas (Facebook for example as the movie Social Media demonstrates). And that is the reason for this post. Maybe you need an idea, and who knows you could be the next product that went crazy online person...I won't sue...I promise (and here it is written in cyber-stone!)

I started with 97 cent wooden plaques from Wal-Mart and
painted them with paint I already had lying around.


Then I drew the letters I needed. Now there a zillion better ways to do this,
print them for one, or if you scrapbook cut them out of cute paper. 
I was in a hurry and opted for paint that I already had.
I cut out the letters and traced them on the painted wood 
and then painted them in with black.


Attaching the hook was a little tricky. The screws turned out to be too long and
went through to wood so I opted for crazy glue, which turns out is crazy strong. 
I mounted them to the wall with 3M mounting strips
(The hooks were $3.00 at Home Depot)



There you have it. Really looking forward to 
no more wet towels on the floor!! 
The towel bar that was there was too small for three towels and had been bent by 
one of my boys who thought it was a money bar. Yep. If you have boys you know it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment